Sunday, January 2, 2011

Eleven for '11

I love New Year's Resolutions.  I love new beginnings, in general.  One of my favorite Bible verses has to do with the fact that "His mercies are new every morning."  So of course I've been thinking about what I want to accomplish in this new year, 2011!

And I'm slightly obsessive about things being symmetrical and "matchy" so that's why I'm doing eleven resolutions for '11.


1)  Teach Rory to read.

2)  Finish the dang basement.  We've lived here 3 years in April and it's been a work in progress the whole time.

3)  Continue to improve in the "cooking and eating healthful, whole foods" area.  I want to eat food that looks like it did when it came off the tree/vine/out of the ground, etc.  We've already made the switch to organic grass fed beef (local farm we LOVE: DeGraan farms) and are working on chicken.

4)  Catch a baby.  I realize this is probably a complete pipe dream that will realistically only happen if someone at the supermarket births in line ahead of me, but you gotta aim high, right?

5)  Lose 12 pounds.  Or more.  But minimum 12. 

6)  Do some form of exercise 3x a week.  Walking on the treadmill, Pilates videos, strolling the neighborhood all count.  "Chasing kids" does not.

7)  Get better at showing my husband how much I love him.  He's a "words of affirmation" kinda guy, which is not my strong point.

8)  Learn how to dress myself.  I seriously lack fashion sense in a major way.  I'm hoping to really find my own style this year, with the help of my good friends Tiffany, Christi, and Google.

9)  Stop yelling at my kids.  I'm a stress yeller.  I can feel my blood pressure go down when I yell, which is NOT a good way to decompress.  So this year I'm going cold turkey and do something else every time I feel like yelling to hopefully train myself to stop.  I'll admit that I failed already yesterday.  Any ideas for what to do instead of yell would be appreciated.  Just don't tell me to eat candy or something like that because that will counteract goal #5.

10)  Limit myself to one or two diet soda type drinks per week.  I recently read this article and it reallllly made me want to swear off for good.  Then I remembered that life is short and so is the sugar crash from one teeny weeny little Diet Dr. Pepper, so one a week won't kill me.  :)

11)  Grow in my faith.  I want to read more, pray more, meditate on Him more... this last year has been an incredibly freeing one, where for the first time since we left the mission field I felt myself really HEAR God and be LED by Him.  It was such an exciting place to be again. 



Now I want to hear what YOU are doing differently/again/for the first time in 2011!

4 comments:

  1. I promised no resolutions after last year's big fail, but I do have some goals! I'd like to read more, a book a month is probably reasonable. Also work out and limit my evenings of vegging out on-line to 2-3x per week.

    I have loved watching the Duggar family shows on Netflix. I may differ with them on a few points, but overall I have found them to be such a great source of inspiration on parenting and creating a joyful home environment. To your point on yelling, which I struggle with as well, I have been working to replace it with direct eye contact and low tone of voice.

    I STILL have the Bob books for you and Hooked on Phonics has also been instrumental in Hannah learning to read. I also would love to have Adam reading by the end of the year or by the following May. It's the perfect age and the whole world opens up to them when they reach that milestone!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're gonna teach your baby to read?! ha ha ha.
    I have only one resolution, which I blogged about. Other than that the big one you'll be helping me with, hopefully...the natural childbirth thing. Otherwise I think I'm pretty awesome.
    HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I did an 11 for 2011 also this year (inspired really by Nas's 30 by 30 list). And we have some very similar goals, my dear! I'll help you if you help me!

    ReplyDelete