Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Paint Chip Lied

We're finishing our basement.  This is a 3-year long still in progress labor of love we've been dreaming, designing, and re-designing since the first time we toured the house.  The previous owners did us a favor and framed out the rooms... heaven knows how lost we would have been trying to space plan a gigantic square on our own.

Pretty much the only thing I've done consistently with the basement project is change my mind.  Take for example the small 4x8 "room" to the right at the bottom of the stairs.  First it was going to be a storage closet.  Then a half bath.  Just last week hubby finished creating the dryer vent to make it a laundry room.  He's praying this decision sticks.

Then there was the tile job.  I mean, no, I want laminate.  What, you can't have laminate in a laundry room?  Back to tile.  Normal, beige tile.  Wait!  Is that grey and blue/green tile on clearance over there?!  Yes!  That's EXACTLY what I wanted!  In a square pattern on the floor.  No, wait, a diagonal.  And I want it in the mudroom too.  Diagonal pattern in both areas.  Wait, no.  Square pattern in one area, diagonal in the other.  What do you mean, Mr. Tile Man, you hope I don't come back down here before you get the tile laid?

So anyway, we're finally past the building and room assigning phase and now all that stands between us actually moving into the space is paint, baseboards, and carpet.  I have been poring over paint chips for MONTHS.  Watching home decorating shows and scribbling paint color names on my every growing idea list for the basement.  Reading magazines and tearing out pictures for inspiration.  And finally, FINALLY choosing the perfect colors and waiting with excitement at the paint counter at Home Depot while our personal paint advisor Rick mixes them up.

Then I actually went back a couple weeks later and bought different albeit similar hues of the same colors.  I'll use those other gallons eventually, right? Key Lime green is probably pretty versatile, amIright?

One room I've been super psyched about in the basement is the future Craft/Guest room.  This fabric sample from Ms. Amy Butler's Lotus series was my inspiration:
Grey Wallflower by Amy Butler

I found the most perfect shade of almost yellow... a delicate wisp of yellow called Candlelight Yellow.  Even the name evoked what I wanted that room to feel like... warm, inviting, comfortable.

So imagine my shock and horror when with the first swipe of paint I see not a light and luxe yellow but a glaring, fluorescent blend of lime and painful white.  Lemon Horror, you could say.  Letting the first coat dry didn't help.  Applying a second coat... HA.  Who am I kidding here?

The paint chip LIED.

I suppose I probably should have taken into account the fact that this room gets no natural light and is illuminated only by a gigantic, naked, energy saving fluorescent light bulb in the center of the ceiling.  I'm hoping the lighting will be slightly less harsh when a fixture goes over that bulb.  But even so, the paint just seems tragically bright.

So the question is... could you relax in this room?

11 comments:

  1. You were very convincing until I saw the picture. It doesn't even look yellow! Have you had your eyes checked? ;) LOVE Amy Butler though. Her fabrics rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously that picture could not be less realistic. I just went down there again to get something and was almost blinded by the lemon horror. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Updated pic!!! What do you think now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummmm.....sorry. I think my bp just spiked looking at that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could relax...if I closed my eyes. ;) LOL!
    It isn't too bad. I used to work at HD (sometimes in paint)... yellows that look good in small scale are usually breathtaking (not in a good way) large scale. I would recommend some coverup...either ragging, or stencil work or even vertical stripes in a much darker shade of yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEEEP, lol. That's extremely yellow...but, maybe darker yellow stripes would dull it a bit? Or could you scrap the color and go with a completelt different yellow? Or GRAY!?!?;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I'm rolling with laughter at the sad irony of the paint chip! My parents had a bad yellow experience once. Why is yellow so hard? But despite the color, I really love how you painted the ceiling! That part looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That reminds me of the lemon horror that is my kitchen!! We've lived here for 4 1/2 years and I STILL have to deal with the blinding yellow walls so I sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, but i *heart* amy butler prints!! that one is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm late to the party, but wanted to offer my deepest sympathies! Yellow is a BEAST to pick out. I have made so many mistakes in paint choices over the years, learning my lessons the hard way. I found that to pick a nice, soft yellow, you actually need to pick a CREAM with yellow undertones (who knew??). And to pick a green, pick a BEIGE with green undertones. And for blue, pick a WHITE or GRAY with blue undertones. I myself go blind and half mad trying to choose, and usually end up aceing it on the third try ;0)

    ReplyDelete