Sunday, November 21, 2010
To Ugg or not to Ugg...
I am fashion challenged. I have been known to commit such fashion felonies as buying the same shirt in 3 colors, wearing maternity clothes long after the baby makes it to the outside, and wearing white after Labor Day. I try really hard, but I pretty much always come up short in my attempts to replicate this year's trends.
One trend I am like 6 years behind on is the Ugg trend. I love Uggs, in theory. I think they look comfy and cute on everyone. But every time *I* try them on, I look in the mirror and can't understand why my butt suddenly acquired it's own zip code, and my legs morphed into tree stumps instead of decently proportioned walking sticks.
So, I need some unbiased feedback. Should I jump on the Uggs bandwagon, embrace my awkwardness, and spend this winter with toasty toes? Or do I stay stagnant with my collection of flats and tennies?
I promise not to wear them with jeggings. That would just be... wrong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I just don't know about these. I have the same issues with the big butt and tree stumps. I know I can't pull it off. Please, please don't wear them with shorts.
ReplyDeleteNo--------
ReplyDeleteThere are so many other cute boots out there. If your problem area is accentuated get boots that are not mid calf. Get some a little higher.
Uggs are ugly.
My opinion is that Uggs are wrong on so many levels. And they look like snowboots. Uggly snowboots.
ReplyDeleteHey, we only live once. Get the Uggs and be comfy! I think they are cute (especially baby Uggs!).
ReplyDeletei was actually thinking the same thing last night. lots of girls at the coffee shop were wearing them. okay, ALL of them were. i like them on other people, but i have the same problem with myself. and woah, talk about fashion challenged, you should have seen me last night---yikes!
ReplyDeleteokay, seems like most people where them with tight straight leg jeans, i don't own those because they aren't flattering on me.
i'm also worried they would get wet and yucky and it's a pretty wet winter/spring in GA.
not sure? i'd say no, but then again i don't have another suggestion. Rainbow flip flops? ha ha
I went through this last year when Amazon had an awesome deal on some quality knockoffs. (bearpaws). I got some for Finley and of course she looked ridiculously cute.
ReplyDeleteI bit the bullet and bought some plain ol' mid calf black ones. They are so super comfy. I wear them with my boot cut jeans over the boots not the boots over the jeans. kwim. To me that makes it seem a little less like, "hey look at my "cool" boots.
Candra, speaking of straight and skinny jeans. Have you actually tried some one? I had the same feeling you do that they would look terrible on me but I kept hearing people say how flattering they were. Well I tried some on and they are super cute and flattering. Even with my huge butt. They look super cute with ballet flats. Now will I wear them with my "uggs" over them. No way. I am silly like that.
Dawn-- What kind of skinny jeans do you have? I really want to get some but also have a big butt and I'm worried I won't find any that fit.
ReplyDeleteI got these levis from kohls.
ReplyDeletehttp://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4048040&cp=3146849.3146871.10889733
I think that it helps that they have a dark wash. I love them so much I should probably buy another pair. I have been known to wear them days in a row.
My stepmom bought me some last year, I couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I have never worn them over my pants, as I haven't bit the bullet for skinny jeans. I don't feel as though I have the body. Anyway, I wear them like Dawn does, under my bootcut jeans. I personally love them. They are warm, compfy and quick to throw on when I'm trying to get both the kids out of the house. ;)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have some (Emus) and I think you'll like them if you're just looking for something comfy because I certainly wouldn't call them cute. I guess I'm in the minority here because I wear boots over jeans all the time. AND have even been known to wear them over (gasp!) jeggings...;)
ReplyDeleteI love boots, I wear knee high boots a lot during the winter. I am not a fan of Uggs. I don't know why really. They just sort of remind me of bedroom slippers. I wear Tiberlands when it snows. They are my old faithfuls. Fur lined like Uggs and super comfy but I think they look much better. Ofcourse I'm not the most fashionable person either.
ReplyDeleteMolly, you could wear a paper bag and look completely adorable.
ReplyDeleteI <3 Dawn.
ReplyDeleteI have some knock offs. Dark brown, yellow box brand. I thought they would be comfy but they aren't. It's like I'm not wearing any shoes at all which at first was neat, but my feet NEED support. So I'm going to get some inserts/orthotics to wear in them, cause I know I will need them for other shoes soon also.
ReplyDeleteI wear them under my pants though. My legs are too short.
Katie has some and they are adorable, but she has super long legs.
oh, katie's are knock offs from Children's Place. I feel sinful paying ridiculous amounts of money for clothes. Seriously. Even if I had it I wouldn't.
ReplyDeleteFunny unrelated: the word verification for this comment is:
"nonspoop"
I am loving all the banter!!! You ladies have convinced me of two things:
ReplyDelete1) My friends are way cooler and stylish than me (wait, I knew this already)
2) I should wear Uggs with caution, if at all.
2.5) I'm going for it!!! I had just enough in my PayPal account to order these:
http://www.zappos.com/bearpaw-eva-10-nutmeg-suede
Except I got them through Amazon and with free shipping, the total was only $36! Woot woot!
Thanks for the advice. Dawn, I promise not to wear them with shorts. Other Dawn, I will definitely reconsider skinny jeans. I will also convince Candra to try some. :)
Oh and Valerie, I promise to get some other, fashionable boots too! :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you got your fake Uggs (Fuggs)! You are one of the most beautiful people I know and I know having cozy toes will only make you glow more!
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure you showed me at least 7 different colors of the same Old Navy classic tee when I visited you in England. lol
PS I second the notion that the most flattering jeans (regardless of cut) are dark washed!
just be careful because they arent waterproof and over time can smell.....PU!
ReplyDelete