To start, how do you pronounce this word? Home-ee-oh-PATH-y? Or home-ee-AW-puh-thy? Either way, I'm kinda getting into it.
It's kind of intriguing to read about, the whole "like cures like" idea and how there might be something other than Advil to treat my aches and pains. And especially in the natural childbirth world, there are TONS of homeopathic remedies to pregnancy ailments and birth complications.
So, a dear friend of mine is STILL pregnant. She was "due" about a week ago, so she's pretty "done" with pregnancy by now. With the permission of her midwife, I went to the natural foods store to collect some herbal homeopathic stuff for her to try out to see if labor will get started.
I call ahead to make sure they have one thing in particular, and mention on the phone:
"So, are you sure you have it? Like, in stock? Because I'm coming to get it RIGHT NOW if you do."
I'm sure THAT didn't sound sketchy. Ha.
A mere 30 minutes later, I roll up to the natural foods place, dragging two kids with me. Let me paint the picture. Both of them had just woken up from naps. One was shoeless, the other jacket-less, grumpy, and with a serious case of bedhead. I was wearing a frumpalicious sweater I normally only wear in the presence of my couches and probably looked a bit wild eyed from the lack of my afternoon cuppa. I go right to the counter and request to be shown where the following items were:
*5W
*caullophylum
*red raspberry leaf tea
The lady patiently helps me (they only had 2 of the 3) while Rory rearranges all the bottles on the lower two shelves of the entire store. I pack up and pay for my booty, and jump back in the car, headed back to deliver the goods to the majorly preggo friend.
At a stop light, I perused the contents of the bag and suddenly found it very hilarious what one thing in common all the items claimed to be useful for treating... symptoms of PMS.
I bet I looked like a classic case of that, eh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm a firm believer in homeopathy or naturopathy. I've been seeing a naturopath for almost a year now and my allergies are gone, he saved my gallbladder, and no more PMS for me!
ReplyDeletewe've tried to use supplements and herbs or the last 5 years. we've only used meds i think 3 times in 5 years for all of us. [an ear infection i couldn't cure, pnemonia, and a bad case of hives].
ReplyDeleteI credit 5W with a early, and fast delivery :) although it usually takes weeks for the herb "set it" but i suppose if you hit it hard at the end you could produce some results.
I am very much a witch doctor these days. I am currently on a natural progesterone cream...started using it after my two miscarriages and although it could be just anecdotal, so far this baby seems to be sticking better! :)
ReplyDeleteMy kids haven't been to the doctor in YEARS. I'm not kidding. No antibiotics in our house since I can't remember when. (for the kids anyway, I was on one for a suspected UTI after working the pumpkin patch last year...fear of port-o-toilets induced! ha!)