Monday, August 29, 2011

Living Room Re-Do

Another "30 Before 30" update... click here to see the full list and explanation of this whole concept...

10.     Redecorate my living room on the cheap.

Not only am I cheap, but I'm also somewhat fickle in my taste.  Therefore, when contemplating a re-do of my living room, I made one rule for myself:

Thou shalt not spend buckets of thine husband's earning on tacky stuff you will hate in a year.

I have confessed here previously that I am not very good at decorating, and even worse at picking paint colors.  I picked the previous color of my living room without any plan whatsoever of how to actually make it into a likable room.  Besides the name of the color (Warm Terracotta by Behr), there was very little about my original living room that actually said "warm and cozy" to me.

Photo evidence:


 
Yeah, I mean technically the color is a warm, autumn color, but my starkly white-y beige everything else really just wasn't working like I wanted it to.

Also, you may have noticed that I suffer from the "Matchy Matchy is Tacky Tacky" disease.  See the matchy crosses and the matchy mantle lamps?  Identically hued throw pillows?  And did I mention I matched my carpet to my couch when surveying samples?  Yeah.  I think it's a genetic thing.  *shrugs*

{Side note, Sherri and John at Young House Love are my inspirations for avoiding this awful problem...}  

So, I was on a misson!  Correct my ailing decor by transforming the living room into a comfy abode rather than the inside of a Halloween pumpkin.  I gathered my magazine clippings and perused my Firefox bookmarks and concluded that I am quite the fan of cool colors that look warm.  Armed with my inspiration photos, I was confident.

True to form, I suffered a minor setback when the first paint color turned out a bit more baby blue than turquoise-y grey... but I rallied and managed to score a win the second time around.

Craigslist took care of the old swirly couches and a neighborhood yard sale relieved me of the old high gloss cherry Queen Anne style end tables and various and sundry knick-knacks.  By the time I was done clearing out, all I had left was:
-Target slipper chair
-lidded wicker basket
-sofa table my grandparents gave me (with which I have a love and hate relationship)
-heirloom clock
-pictures

So I spent an ungodly amount a few minutes here and there on Pinterest and Craigslist and this is what I came up with...

Finally!  The cozy and serene living room of my dreams!
"New stuff" breakdown:
-subtly striped "Hilton Head" couch from Rooms-to-Go: $399 during Independence Day sale
-chair and ottoman: $65 Craigslist find
-Martha Stewart "Chrysanthemum" indoor/outdoor rug: $207 (during a 20% off sale) from www.homedecorators.com
-brown throw pillow: $11 from Big Lots
-"In this home..." subway art from Cracker Barrel: $16
-drum shade from Target: $16
-1 gallon of Martha Stewart "Rainwater" color matched to Behr Premium paint: $26

-vintage side table: $0 ("stole" it from my step dad)
-milk glass vase from yard sale: $0.50
-peacock feathers Rory brought home from a farm: $0 for me, some pain and suffering for the peacock
-canvas picture from canvas.com: $5 ("free canvas" promotion plus shipping)

Total spent: $750 or so minus the $400 earned through selling old stuff = new living room for $350.

Here are a few more vignettes of the new digs:

Yes, I am constantly telling the kids "stop touching the feathers!"
Pinterest has me convinced that this red chair isn't horribly out of place... your thoughts?

New shade revives old lamp atop the awkward sofa table I intend the shabby chic someday

New canvas directly under the "C"

Along with the help of Pinterest, about 10 years of past issues of BH&G that I butchered at my gramma's house, and many (many... many...) cups of coffee, I also owe a debt of gratitude to my long suffering family who lived with my paint fumes, lack of furniture, and subsequent constant rearranging of new furniture.  Chris says he likes the final product, so that's a win in my book.

I'm now planning my next major re-tackle... the master bedroom!  {insert gleeful laugh here}


8 comments:

  1. I love it! Especially the rug. I was thinking "how does she keep the kids away from the feathers/vase," and then I saw your caption on the photo, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey -- please PLEASE do this around your fireplace: http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/2011/02/mirrored-windows.html

    PLEASE!!!! You have wall space around yours, and I think it would look so awesome!

    What do you have planned for the MB? Color scheme? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's perfect! Must be your favorite room in the house :) LOVE Stef's suggestion! It would really open up the space. Mirrors are awesome! ...oh, and I think your chair and ottoman are in a great spot. I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really, really beautiful. Pictures do not even do it justice. The "feel" of the room is just perfect. You did a great job, and I'm so glad I got to see it in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you streamlined the trigger area. Very sanctuary like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know why I like it so much! I am a BH&G whore (there, I said it) And I totally ADORE your room. The color, the layout, the CL chair and ottoman, the MS indoor/outdoor rug (I have had it bookmarked forever too!). Next step...I am being your John and Sherry stand-in here...TEXTURE! You need some warm and fuzzy things, like a nubby throw, a faux sheepskin, a basket o'yarn, to warm things up. And it's the perfect time of year for warming up, so you can daydream ideas while you cook pumpkiney goodies with your girlies. :)

    ReplyDelete