Thursday, September 2, 2010

Throwback Thursday


Chris's senior prom. The year: 2000.  Boy bands, pop princesses, and karma beads were all the rage, Will Smith was regularly gettin' jiggy wit it, and we were 17 (me) and 18 (Chris) years old.

I'm actually having kind of a hard time remembering a lot of the details!  I do know that Chris picked me up in his parents car, since his car was a not-quite-broken-down Hyundai Excel and I told him under no circumstances were we driving on the interstate in it. My mom had told me a story about how she ended up pushing my dad's VW bug in her prom dress and I was so not going to carry on that legacy.

I did my own hair.  And makeup.  And that was the same dress I wore to my junior prom.

I was supposed to have a wrap to cover my shoulders, since his school was part of an independent Baptist church.  I wore a feather boa instead. 

We had dinner at The Abbey in Atlanta, and then went to see My Fair Lady at GA Tech.  AFTER all that, we went to someone's house and partied for reals.

Partying for reals included dancing around to crazy songs like "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam the Sham.  And playing a game with a deck of cards that involved passing the card from person to person using just your mouth.  {Side note, Rory and Liberty:  No ma'ams.}  Thankfully everyone there was too chicken to try anything more scandalous.

Chris brought me home pretty late, so my mom made him sleep on the couch because she didn't want him to fall asleep while driving.  I had a hard time sleeping knowing my hunky boyfriend was asleep in the living room.  I picked out my pajamas very carefully and "forgot" to get dressed before coming downstairs for breakfast.

My brothers ate breakfast with us... in their underwear.  That wasn't awkward AT ALL.  :)

Another picture from that night is framed and in our living room.  Right next to the picture of Chris in his high school football uniform.  I feel really lucky that we got to be high school sweethearts and will really enjoy being able to tell stories on "when your Daddy was your age...".  I'm sure he'll do the same for me.

5 comments:

  1. I came over here from Carrie's blog - I loved reading some of your older posts, but I had to laugh at this one. Man, can some of ya'll make me feel old! Carrie rubs it in all the time, and then I find one even younger...
    That is going to be really fun though, having married your highschool sweetheart - the stories you will be able to tell your kids! I married my college sweetheart, so can understand a bit.
    And btw, my hubby loves "Flight of the Conchords" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pic! I can't imagine marrying anyone that I knew in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I laughed out loud at the Rory & Liberty comments and the brothers in their underwear. Hilarious!
    Nathan and I went to prom too. He also slept on our couch that night :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read. You've inspired me to dig up my prom photos since we're high school sweethearts too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read you're good at proof reading---turn that off when you read my blog :)

    as always, blog was hilarious. loved the underwear..that will obviously be Nation one day

    love ya

    Candra

    ReplyDelete