Monday, January 18, 2010

Nobody Puts Baby in the Closet

Add this to the list of things I never thought I'd do:

Stash sleeping baby in the closet while helping Sister move into her apartment.


For some crazy reason, we thought it would be no big deal to bring our toddler and newborn with us to help move my sister into her new Buckhead studio apartment. Translation: We momentarily forgot that kids + moving = huge messy deal. We were trying to help my sister cram all of her belongings into 27 square feet and quickly realized there was no suitable place to put Liberty (who was sleeping in her carseat) where she wouldn't end up buried under piles of high heels or zebra striped pillows.

In case you were wondering, the suitable place we found to keep Rory out of the way was by letting her jump on the bed - for an hour. Anyway, back to the where to stash the baby problem.

Luckily, my mom skillz kicked in and as I ran through the mental checklist of requirements for a good place to put Liberty (quiet - check, dark - check, out of the way of men throwing furniture around - check) I suddenly realized, "AHA! The closet!"

For the record, Sister's closet is HUGE. Like half of the square footage of the apartment is the closet. So I nonchalantly grabbed the carseat avec bebe and quietly tucked her into the corner of the closet, cracked the door for light and air, and went back to work unpacking dishes and such.

The saddest part about all of this is that is took like 25 minutes for ANYONE to notice Liberty was missing in action. No, wait, the SADDEST part was that the FIRST person to notice was the apartment complex leasing agent. She suddenly started looking around and then says to me, "Didn't I see you carry a baby in when you got here?!?"

I calmly replied, "Yeah, you did. She's chilling in the closet right now."

I loved the looks I got, but more than that, I loved the 2 hour nap Liberty took safe from the teetering towers of stilettos and occasional lamps. She woke up rested, refreshed, and promptly had a blow out poopy diaper all over Sister's bedspread. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm your biggest fan. Seriously, I love your blog. And in a strange way, I miss those good ol' blowout diapers. You know, the ones that you can pretty much hear coming as they ooze out everywhere. Ahhh...

    ReplyDelete