Monday, November 23, 2009

The new hedonism... home birth.

I was watching some trash tv a while back (The Today Show) and Matt Lauer was interviewing some guy about how home birth is the "new hedonism" in the birthing world...

Seriously? These MEN were chatting about how it's like a "spa treatment," meaning that it's a silly fad that will surely die out once all those crazy celebrities stop having ridiculous, hedonistic home births.

Ummmm, for the record, I just had a baby at home and it did not resemble anything even remotely close to a spa treatment.

1) No one was getting pedicures.
2) There were hot towels, but let's just say they weren't being applied to my face to open up my pores.
3) I was covered in baby poo at the end, rather than a relaxing mud bath.


To think that someone would equate giving birth at home to a pleasurable vacation activity is just laughable.


Now that we've cleared that up, let's address this topic of home birth! It was INCREDIBLE. I got to labor (something not very pleasant) in the comfort of my own home (something very pleasant). I was attended by two very knowledgeable and professional midwives, and though the labor was long and painful, it was extremely rewarding. After it was over and myself and baby were declared healthy and recovering normally, I got to sleep in my own bed. There cannot be enough said for how therapeutic it is to sleep in your own bed just hours after giving birth! I didn't get bugged all night by nurses wanting to check my nether regions, and nobody from the lab came to draw my blood at the crack of dawn. Instead, my hubby helped me to and from the bathroom a couple times, and when the sun woke us up, he got up and brought me breakfast in bed.

Ok, ok, you're right... eating breakfast in your own bed just hours after giving birth does sound pretty pleasurable... surely that counts as hedonism, right? :)


We are very excited to announce the birth of Miss Liberty Kate Carson, born in our bedroom on November 15th, 2009 at 8:37 pm. She was 7 lbs, 4 oz, and 21.5 inches long. She shares a birthday with her older sister Rory, but that's a story for another post...

2 comments:

  1. You Rock!!!! And I agree, no labor/delivery is comparable to spa treatment, although, the euphoric high afterwards maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! I could never be that brave, but congrats and I loved reading all the hedonistic details!

    ReplyDelete