Thursday, March 10, 2011

Project Simplify: Hot Spot #1

Simple Mom revealed Hot Spot #1 on Monday:  Mom's closet!

I love that she started in one of the places that is so easy to hide.  I NEVER go in my closet.  Like, never.  I don't even hang up my clothes, I just... dump them and run.

See?

So I took Simple Mom's advice and went on a closet cleaning rampage.  I gathered my donation box, hangers, and checklist.  Threw the obvious "keeps" in a pile {my daily tees and jeans, par example} and then I read this part of the instructions:

"Try on all the rest of your clothes — no cheating."

UUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.  I HATE trying on clothes.  HATE.

But I did it anyway.

And it was kind of entertaining.

See?
These skinny  jeans are growing on me.
This is my "J Crew" look.  Ha.
Could these shorts be any LESS flattering?  I think not.  And to think a FRIEND told me to buy these!  LOL
I want to like this skirt.  I just... don't.
The ONLY dress I own. {like it? I do!}
Ok, I guess I technically own more than one dress... like this prom dress, circa 2000. What?!  Simple Mom said I had to try EVERYTHING on! 

To prove how few clothes I own, this whole exercise only took about 37 minutes.  In that time I discovered I own (among other things) 8 cardigan style sweaters, 5 white shirts, twentyeleven tank tops, and 1 dress purchased during the current millennium.  I also realized I tend to favor "jewel tones" for tops and "jeans" for bottoms.

I wrangled all the errant maternity clothes back into one storage tub, hung up all the shirts that weren't straight up tees, and folded and stacked the jeans/pants/skirts tidily below.  Shoes went back in the shoe holder, and 1 smallish pile of "to donate" things awaits drop off (on the closet floor for now).  My nap time toils left me with a MUCH improved looking space.

See?


If I knew how to host a linky party or whatnot I'd say, link up and show me your improved hot spot!  But since I dunno how, just leave a comment.  And don't forget, Simple Mom is doing giveaways every week, so link up over there too!

7 comments:

  1. You're so cute! I love how you took photos of you trying on all your things. My closet wasn't too bad since I just purged it of maternity clothes a few weeks ago. I just need to go shopping for some new t's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved your photos while you were trying things one. And yes, that is a FABULOUS dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also LOVE the cute black dress and don't so much love the long skirt. I'm getting started on my closet... um... now! I'll post the results if I don't fall asleep before returning to the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I LOVE that you showed us your trying-on pics. That is awesome! And I love that one dress of yours. Not the prom dress. The other one. :)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how you took pictures of yourself trying everything on. So fun! "If" I owned JUST one dress I would want it to look as good as yours does on you! :) Loved your blog.... I'm just starting my own!

    I am not sure how to "link" my page here in the comment box so I will just type the address....
    www.organizedchaos-lisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did it! http://coffeeatourplace.blogspot.com/2011/03/master-closet-simplified.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black dress looks awesome! Next time I am there we will go somewhere where you can wear it! I was quite surprised to see your closet 'before'. I guess its easy to be tidy when you live in a cabin the size of a shoe box and have limited amounts of clothing!

    ReplyDelete