Have you ever lost something that you just *knew* was gone forever, only to find it again one day? I have.
About a year ago I realized I hadn't seen my favorite piece of jewelry in awhile... my grandmother's Tiffany bracelet. It was special because 1) hello, it's a Tiffany bracelet, 2) it's a VINTAGE Tiffany bracelet, and 3) it is engraved with her initials. (Side note: Her initials are P.A.M. which has led to several comments from people along the lines of "Hey Pam, nice bracelet! Snicker.") She gave it to me shortly after I had Rory, when I was whining about how my sister's boyfriend gave her a Tiffany bracelet for their anniversary, which was coincidentally Rory's due date, and how I had just given birth and didn't get any jewelry or anything to commemorate the occasion. Charming, I know.
Anyways, the bracelet went MIA. I searched high and low and eventually resigned myself to denial and blind hope. Every time I would think about it, my heart would twinge a bit and I would hope against hope, repeating my mantra: "Someday, it'll just turn up out of nowhere!"
Well, today turned out to be that day.
I got back from a whirlwind weekend trip and in my sleep deprived stupor, decided to reorganize my house. Starting with my bags.
Hand bags, accessory bags, make up bags... even grocery bags. I have sort of a bag... issue. Anyway, my *favorite* diaper bag has been hanging around on a dining table chair and I decided it was time for a clean out.
I did a sweep of the interior and threw out all the old receipts, half crushed Cheerios, formula sample tubes I never used. Dug in the pockets and pulled out pens, peppermints, and Chick-fil-A placemats. And then I stuck my hand deep down in the outside pocket, the one where I always throw my lipstick, cell phone, or anything I need to get back out quickly.
Deep in the pocket, nestled down into its own mini-cave created by almost 3 years of the bag being stuffed to capacity and toted endlessly, was my beloved Tiffany bracelet. She's looking a bit tarnished and forgotten, but still! I was SO THRILLED in that moment to have her back. It finally cleared my guilt over never having the guts to tell anyone I lost my grandmother's heirloom bracelet.
I was feeling buoyed by my discovery, so I happily continued my purging efforts on the most forgotten of all pockets in the diaper bag... those useless, flat interior pockets that are only big enough to hold a business card or single sheet of tissue.
Little did I know I was about to make an even more unbelievable discovery.
(Side note: I cannot believe I am about to admit this publicly.)
To fully understand the... UNBELIEVABLENESS of this, I have to go back in time about 2.5 years, to a day when I was marooned at a fast food restaurant with a 3 week old baby and a broken radiator.
While waiting for the tow truck, I took baby Rory to the bathroom for a diaper change. Much to my joy, I discovered when I opened her diaper that her umbilical cord stump had FINALLY fallen off...
(Can you see where this is going? Just checking to make sure you're still awake...)
... and since I am the sentimental psycho mom type, I PUT THE BELLY BUTTON STUMP IN ONE OF THOSE USELESS DIAPER BAG POCKETS. And then, suffering from what would turn out to be a permanent case of Mommy Brain, I completely forgot about it.
Until today.
I guess you could say I found TWO vintage treasures in my diaper bag tonite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is so awesome! Those kinds of stories usually don't end so sweetly. The cord stump kind of grosses me out, but then again I've never even seen a birth! ha ha!
ReplyDeletePart 1: Amazing!!
ReplyDeletePart 2: Disgusting!! I didn't even save E's first curl - I think leftover body parts are not within my realm of sentimental feeling.
EWWW!!
ReplyDeleteAnd also awesome. :)
hahaha...LOVE it!!
ReplyDeleteI guess I forgot to mention that I too was completely grossed out by it! I think my original thought when I put it in the pocket was to show it to Chris (I know, EW! Why???) and THEN throw it away.
ReplyDeleteThat doesn't make it any less gross though, hahahaha.
I love it! I lost two irreplaceable treasures over a decade ago and am still holding out that maybe, just maybe, they'll find me again. Your story gives me hope!
ReplyDelete