Friday, October 9, 2009

It's 7 am... do you know where your Elmer's is?

Waving hi to everyone!!! It's been a while since anything blog-worthy happened here, I guess

We've had a funny 24 hours or so with Rory. Last night when I went to check on her before going to bed, I could't get her door open. Pushed a little harder and was able to see a little foot sticking out from behind the door. Apparently, sleeping in bed wasn't the preferred location for her that night! So we woke her up enough to get her to stand up on her own and walked her back to bed... and didn't hear from her again until 7:05 this morning... when she came knocking on OUR door. Uh oh.

Apparently, I forgot to "lock" her in her room last night, but didn't immediately think anything of it. I picked her up, intending to change her diaper in the dark and put her back to bed like I usually do when she wakes up "too early." But something wasn't right... everywhere I touched on her felt... crusty. I turned on the light and see that the skin on her foot looks like it's peeling... what??? Then I look at her face and same thing... peel-y looking skin from the nose down. Then I see her hair - crusty town. I peel some of it off, sniff it, and finally I get it... she's slathered herself in Elmer's glue that is now dry. It is stinking EVERYWHERE. Chris was already in the shower, so I stripped her down to her scaly glue skin and stuck her in with him before he can protest, announcing that his daughter must've been awake huffing glue while we were fast asleep and that she needed a rinse off while I went to find the rest of the glue.

I go down the hall and see a trail of evidence... books and toys spread around, my wallet out of my purse and the contents spread on the kitchen floor... but no glue. I keep looking and finally see a lower cabinet slightly ajar, and the tell-tale crustiness of dried glue on the handle. Sure enough, the Elmer's was in the cabinet with noticeably less in there than when I stored it yesterday. I went back and reported my findings to Chris, who was just brave enough to ask, "Do you think she was... eating it?"

Fast forward to about 8:30. I'm finishing my coffee in the living room and notice that it is VERY quiet in Rory's room. I walk in just in time to see her SLURPING globs of lotion off her palms.

The email I sent 10 minutes later to Chris read: "Just found your daughter eating lotion in her room. Guess that answers your question about the glue." His reponse was, "Well, if she's truly my daughter, you better make sure you hide the BenGay." Apparently he had a thing for eating Bengay as a kid...


Exciting morning around here! HA.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously amazing.

    And exactly why I don't want to give up the crib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing so hard! OH me oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahaha! exactly why we lock brock in at night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness!!!! I am so terrified now!

    ReplyDelete