Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Another Milestone



We're so proud to report that Rory has reached another toddler milestone... and this is really one for the baby book.

Yesterday, Rory told her first bold-faced lie.

As a child who had thus far been trustworthy, I was letting her sit at her little play table in the kitchen and quietly color by herself while I tidied up around the house. She knows that the crayons are supposed to stay in the kitchen, and that we only draw on paper. So, imagine my surprise when I returned to the kitchen with some stray dirty glasses to find a new, shall we say, graphic decoration adorning my wall. A fitting name for the work of art could be something like: "Disobedience in Wild Strawberry Crayon."

Rory smiled sweetly as I asked how crayon got on the wall. She straight up told me she did it, as well as showed me where she had drawn on her chair, so we had a talk about how we are only supposed to draw on paper, and how this was a discipline deserving offense. Once that was taken care of, I commenced to cleaning the crayon off the wall with a baby wipe. I decided while I was at it that I should see if baby wipe would remove the scuff marks from where a picture fell off the wall a few weeks ago. I headed into the living room and that's when I saw it.

Another rogue mark on the wall, this one I'm guessing in Dog Doo Brown, or whatever.

"Rory! Come here!" She came over, looked at the wall, looked at me, and waited for my question. "Rory, how did this crayon mark get here?" She stalled for a moment, and then said thoughtfully:

"Uh oh. Geri drew it."


Geri is a miniature stuffed giraffe.


I tried to wait until she had toddled off to another part of the house before I collapsed with laughter, but my attempts were feeble at best. Oh, how I love that little liar.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute story! AND a cute blog! I was checking out your facebook page and saw that you too are a blogger!!!!
    We really have to get to know each other more! :)

    Carrie, the cul-de-sac hermit neighbor

    ReplyDelete