Saturday, June 6, 2009

Crafty mom.

I made a craft! I made a craft! My friend Brenda kindly gave me the pattern to make an adorable Crayon Wallet she originally found on Etsy. If you don't know what Etsy is, it's kinda like a mecca for homemade gifts, etc.

I used to love sewing... like 15 years ago. Really! My grandmother taught me how to sew and I made an outfit that I proudly wore to school for picture day. However, I made the mistake of telling my 6th grade classmates that my outfit was homemade, and was henceforth called Homemade Clothes Girl (real original, I know, yet still hurtful). That put me off sewing for a few years.

But now that I'm a Stay At Home Mom, sewing seems an apt past time. I am also trying to become more thoughtful with gift giving, so I thought: "Hey! I'll learn to MAKE gifts! They will be oh so cute and meaningful!"

And so I set forth to craft the magnificent yet adorable Crayon Wallet.

First, let me say that it is a MIRACLE I even finished it. The Gods of Craftiness were totally against me today.

1) Got to the Walmart to discover they don't carry fabric. One more reason why this is the most stupid and worthless Walmart in all of the US.
2) Had to instead drive around trying to find "Sew Sue's Fabric Salon" ("sew" many things wrong with that title, har har) with hubby on the phone giving me directions. This almost ended our marriage.
3) Finally got all items needed to begin and on the first seam, sewing machine goes on vacation to hell.
4) 1 hour and many prayers later, sewing machine is back in the Promised Land.
5) Things are going great until Rory wakes up from her nap... screaming.
6) Settle Rory with a sippy cup of milk and, against my better judgment, allow her to play with scrap of fabric and thread. Now there are both EVERYWHERE.
6) A mere 2 inches from the LAST SEAM being done... bobbin runs out. Must refill bobbin to finish 2 inches, after which I can sew on the final touch - a button.
7) Lose needle and thread on the way to kitchen to hand-sew on button... have to crawl on hands and knees retracing steps to find it. With Rory following behind me, smacking me on the rear end.
8) FINALLY finish and grab camera for pics... batteries of course, are dead.

But I did it! I'm kinda wondering what to do with it now, because I intended to give it as a gift, but now I'm a little iffy on that now because of a few idiosyncrasies that of course happened as a result of it being my first attempt. Anyhoo, here's photos:

The crayon wallet, all closed up and ready to be tucked in a diaper bag:


Inside of wallet (only thing missing is the notepad to put in the far right slot, which of course Walmart did not carry any of size needed for this project):


What have you tried crafting lately?

6 comments:

  1. I chuckled at your story...only because I had a very SIMILAR story regarding my first sewing project in years! I decided to make my own "hooter hider" to use while nursing. The sewing machine had a funk and well at 7 months pregnant my patience wasn't the greatest. After 8 hours, many potty breaks, 3 needles and 2 bobbins...I finished it. It turned out pretty well considering...yet I regret to say the sewing machine and I haven't had another project yet...we're still on the outs LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...this is so cute!!!! Where can I get the pattern? You know me--sewtastic. Mandie, I make my own Hooter Hiders, too (I call them the Peek-a-Boob...ha ha...). My machine has been ornery lately and keeps acting up, and it's *always* when I'm almost done with a seam. Grr...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this craft, you did a great job Lindsey!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that you have a blog..you just don't like me anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is awesome. however brock would probably prefer to eat the crayons or just snap them all in half. *sigh* boys and girls are so different!

    ReplyDelete
  6. homemade clothes girl---when i get home, i am going to ask for a sewing machine for Christmas and Lord willing you will teach me how to use it :)

    ReplyDelete