To pass some time, we went to Washington, DC last weekend. Just kidding, we really went to visit some friends of ours. Back when I was pregnant in 2007, I found a web forum called the "Pumpkin Pies," which was a group of ladies all pregnant and due within the same week of November. We managed to forge friendships over that 9 month period and beyond which have stood the test of time and internet access. Last September, I traveled alone with Rory to DC to attend the "East Coast National Pie Convention" which was basically a corny name for a huge group playdate at a beach for the weekend. Here was the cornerstone shot of that weekend:

Well, the babies aren't babies anymore so we went as a whole family this time to visit the Pie ladies and their fams, as well a few other internet friends that coordinated to be in town as well. Our host, Allison, gave us the whirlwind tour of a few of the notable monuments in DC:
Us at the Lincoln, after which Chris gave a lengthy, informative, yet dry exposition about why Lincoln was either the best or worst president we've had. Something to do with states' rights...

Then we moved on to posing with the ginormous phallus... er, I mean the Washington Monument:

After that, it was time for a glaringly obvious tourist shot with the GA portion of the WWII Memorial:

That was Friday noonishtime. As we did the drive by tour of DC (Wave hi to Barack and Michelle, Rory!) Chris casually mentioned that y'know, he wouldn't like mind if we maybe wanted to sort of drop him off like alone for a while, y'know like for the afternoon or something, at the Air and Space Museum. Allison and I were happy to oblige since pregnant lady naptime was the #1 item on our afternoon to-do list. We left him happily on the sidewalk with a metro card and a text message with instructions on how to get home... and didn't see him again until dinnertime. :)
Friday night was a bbq with the Pumpkin Pies, and then Saturday brought more fun with friends. We online ladies begged, cajoled, pleaded, and then finally just plain out bribed one of our friends who is a pro-photographer to fly in from St. Louis for the weekend. She agreed to do it if we'd bankroll it by booking photo sessions... which we all did. In the end I think she did something like the equivalent of 9 shoots in 2.5 days. I haven't seen any sneaky peeks of the pics she took of Rory and us yet, but here is the link to her website so you can ogle her style. She was AMAZING and I can't wait to see her again. Oh yeah, and I'm pretty psyched about seeing the pictures too.
Sunday, again, more Pies and photos, and then we were back to the airport to fly home. Chris taught Rory how to say "airplane!"

Great pictures. I'm so glad that you had so much fun!!! I'm so jealous of the meet up. I really wish I could have gone.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you guys were able to come. We had a great time!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't seen the "old-timey" picture of the babies before and I laughed out loud this morning at it. Like, people are looking at me funny in the office because I laughed so loud.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you guys had so much fun!!! I so wish I was there!!!
ReplyDeleteChris has most definitely gotten his 2.50 out of that shirt!!!
ReplyDelete